Fabulous Girls guide to: Ombre Hair

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

For the past two months I have been obsessing over ombre hair. I'm sure you've seen it and thought "hmm...looks like someone needs a touch up." This trend which has been seen on stars like Drew Berrymore and Raven Simone and on every red carpet this season is where your hair gradually gets lighter towards the tips.



Here's the before:


I have spent hours googling and watching Youtube videos to find the process and this weekend I decided to take the plunge. I knew it would be a challenge because my natural hair color is jet black so to go lighter I'd have to strip it. So instead of risking my hair, which I love, I added extensions. Its a super safe way to try something new and not end up with a duck tail! Here is the process.

Directions
1. As mentioned before my hair is black so I bought the lightest hair dye I could find which was Revlon's Ultra light Sun blonde #3. I followed the directions exactly to get everything mixed.

2. I applied the dye to my hair. Applying unevenly so it looks natural. Let it sit for 30 minutes. (I strongly suggest you do a strand test before applying to your whole head and if you have a relaxer please don't try)
3. I saw no color change so I reapplied and let it sit for another 30 minutes. For people with lighter hair, repeat step 2 until you reach your desired shades.

After endless attempts I realized that there was no color change so I tried my next method. Bleach!

I went to Sally's and asked a professional (I should have done this in the first place) and she directed me to this bleach. It was only $2.29 and I bought 2 packets since you will probably have to reapply to get different shades of brown.


Directions
1. I added the powder with peroxide and mixed my little life away.
2. Apply the mixture to the bottom of your hair and wait 20 minutes. This actually lifts the color from your hair so don't leave it on longer than that.
3. Wash mixture from hair and then reapply if the color is not light enough.
4.Deep condition hair and style as usual. This step is super important after putting so many chemicals on your hair.

Here are my results!



(I'm wearing Makeup Forever HD foundation and Makeup forever's Rouge Artist Intense #48)

0 comments:

Post a Comment